- 500g carton tomato passata
- Small bunch of fresh basil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 200ml white wine
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1kg fresh mussels
- 4 ciabatta slices
- 1 tspn dried chilli flakes
- Salt/ black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1Heat 1 tbspn olive in a large/ deep pan. Add the onions and crushed garlic to the pan with a pinch of salt and cook on a gentle heat for around 3 – 4 minutes.
- 2Pour in the passata and then mix in the lemon juice, black pepper and chilli flakes. Pour in the wine and stock and leave to gently simmer for a couple of minutes.
- 3Stir in the basil and then add the mussels. Place a lid on the pan and turn to a medium/ high heat. Leave the mussels to cook for around 8- 10 minutes or until their shells have opened up.
- 4While the mussels are steaming heat a griddle pan. Rub the clove garlic on each side of the ciabatta slices and then add to the pan. Griddle on each side for 1 – 2 minutes on a high heat.
- 5Take the mussels off the heat and give them a stir and season with a bit more black pepper. Spoon the mussels in a serving bowl with plenty of the tomato broth. Garnish with some fresh basil leaves.
- 6Serve with the bread and some lemon wedges on the side.